How do you get a divorce from your husband once he is deported

I work in family law, however, every states laws vary and you should contact a reputable attorney in your area. I suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in family law. They will probably be a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Generally, your would file for a complaint for divorce in the county in which you live. I believe in most states, you have to live in the state for 180 days and in the county for 10 days. This may vary though. Once the complaint for divorce is filed with the Court, you have to have your spouse personally served with the divorce papers. You let the attorney know how you want to serve your spouse with the divorce papers. If you can’t find your spouse, your attorney will probably mail the pleadings by certified mail, return receipt requested, restricted delivery to the spouse at their last known address. Usually there must be at least 3 attempts to locate that individual by new paper or sheriff. You have to file a proof of service with the court to show when they are served with the complaint for divorce. If you cannot locate them you should be able to file a motion for alternate service with the court and then proceed with the divorce action as if they were served. You should end up with a default judgment of divorce in the end. It is a little more expensive this way and time consuming but it can be done. Good luck.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *